The Openly YA tour, which celebrates gay characters in YA literature, will hit the East Coast this June. Authors David Levithan (Every Day), Adam Silvera (More Happy than Not), Bill Konigsberg (Openly Straight) and Will Walton (Anything Could Happen) will be touring.
The full tour schedule can be seen below and is subject to change:
- June 1 at 7 p.m. – Politics & Prose (Washington, D.C.)
- June 2 at 7 p.m. – Children’s Book World (Haverford, PA)
- June 3 at 6 p.m. – Teen Author Reading Night at Jefferson Market Library (NYC, NY)
- June 4 at 6 p.m. – Books & Greetings (Northvale, NJ)
- June 5 at 7 p.m. – RJ Julia (Madison, CT)
- June 6 at 4 p.m. – Books of Wonder (NYC, NY)
The Children’s Book World event in Haverford will be without Adam Silvera, while the Teen Author Reading Night event at the Jefferson Market Library will have many, many more authors.
The original tour poster described the Openly YA tour as “celebrating LGBTQIA+ characters in YA fiction and beyond.” When members of the LGBTQIA+ community pointed out that the tour only consisted of cisgendered gay men, Adam Silvera stepped up on Twitter and said that he would get the slogan changed and apologized, citing it as a learning experience and emphasizing that he did not speak for the entire queer YA community.
— Adam Silvera (@AdamSilvera) April 9, 2015